Guys, I get it. Mondays are the worst... Foggy from the weekend... it takes at least a few hours to pick up from where you left off the prior week. Everyone is grumpy pants. All I want to do on Monday is go home and take a nap. BUT, I know better. I know that my Monday boxing class will give my mood a complete 180. My body will wake up, endorphins will be released, and I have the rest of the week to feel good and take the bull by the horns.
Look at this place. It's made for ass-kicking. Peter Welch's Gym changed my life about a year ago (more to come on that in later posts). What workout is your absolute favorite? If you haven't found it yet, go try something new. I promise, when you get into a workout routine, you will start to feel amazing.
Here's what happens to your body when you work out:
- Digestion stops (so make sure you have a snack 2 hrs before)
- Oxygen-rich blood is demanded in the parts of your body that need it most
- Oxygen combines with glycogen and produces ATP... Remember ATP???
- While you're cruising on ATP, your body also releases adrenaline, blocking pain receptors (Yes, the hardest part of your workout is the beginning - get through it!)
So how does this affect me?
- At least 20 minutes of exercise boosts brain power - it increases attention and cognitive ability. Oxygen-rich blood and hormones make their way to the brain and combine to create a chemical called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which plays a role in brain cell growth, mood regulation, and learning. This also has LONG TERM POSITIVE effects. This is why even when I'm super busy at work, I'll leave, work out, and log back in later. Give your brain a boost.
- That extra blood flow also increases prettiness... flush face and hydrated skin.
- Sleep tight! Exercise regulates body temperature, helping you sleep better when you hit the hay later on.
- Hot bod, duh.
- Reese is right:
So, in case my point wasn't totally clear - getting in some exercise multiple days per week provides benefits that go far beyond just having a hot body and a healthy heart. There are immediate mental and emotional positive side effects that you have the means to give yourself with every motion you make. Case in point... I was so cranky all day today. ALL DAY. Now, I'm relaxed and ready for my week. Get after it!
And, hey, if that's not your thing and you just want a buffalo chicken salad, lucky for you I made a 15 second video on instagram tonight that shows you how! HERE.
Have an awesome week! xo