Hello my friends! I hope you are having a solid start to the week. I'm back again with another "15 Minute Meals" post for you! Let me tell you... I've been having internet issues all night and I could have made this meal 6 times in the amount of time it has taken me to complete this post. So there's that! This meal could not be more simple, satisfying, and jam-packed with protein. If there's one thing I know... it's that we are all busy in our own lives. Schedules are jam packed and by the time dinner rolls around, it may be easier to throw in a frozen meal or call for take-out. I started the "15 Minute Meals" series to help with that decision. By the time you're done making a meal like the one I've included below, take-out wouldn't even have arrived yet and the frozen pizza might leave you feeling unsatisfied. Little cheats like using a healthy bottled sauce can make the process of a dinner time meal much easier. I truly believe that whether you are having dinner for one or are feeding a family, it's important to sit down and have a dinner, when possible. I hope this series helps with that. Let's get to it, shall we?
Ingredients (double or triple, as necessary):
- Organic Ground Turkey (1 Lb feeds 3-4)
- Quinoa (1 cup dried makes 3 servings)
- General Tso's Sauce (I like the Whole Foods version as its ingredient list is short and simple and there are no additives)
- Toppings as desired... I used avocado, lime, and parsley from my garden
1. Cook turkey meat and the quinoa separately (both take about 15 minutes to cook through :))
2. While the main ingredients are cooking, dice the toppings and set aside
3. Once the turkey meat is fully cooked... toss in the sauce until it's throughly mixed.
4. Spoon quinoa into bowl and top with turkey meat
5. Add toppings. The freshly squeezed lime and parsley add a nice sharpness to this dish but, feel free to use whatever might be in your fridge such as peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.
6. Eat and relax! How easy is that?
The funny thing about quinoa is that I think it is the most boring food on the planet unless it's covered in awesomeness. Once it's mixed, it takes on the flavor of everything else. This is a good thing because quinoa is jam packed with protein (one of the only plant foods that is considered a COMPLETE protein) and is a great source of fiber, magnesium, b-vitamins, vitamin E, calcium and fiber. Add on protein-rich and b-vitamin rich turkey and vitamin-filled and liver cleansing parsley and you'll be ready for an excellent night's sleep and an energetic day to follow.
Have a great week! xo