Simple meal tonight. I love sandwiches... love them! And, there are so many ways to make a sandwich healthy. Here's the recipe for a meal I made tonight for dinner. I had a bunch of veggies in the fridge and new "brown rice" wraps from Trader Joe's. Here's what I whipped up:
Whole wheat wrap or "brown rice wrap"
(I used baby bellas) (hand full)
(or red onion) (up to your pallet! - shallots are sweeter - I used one half shallot today)
- 1/4-1/2 cup
- 1 tenderloin (use more if you're really hungry - it just might not fit)
Olive oil, salt, crushed red pepper, parsley
(dashes, sprays, pinches)
- Lightly drizzle olive oil on grill or saute pan and over mushrooms, zucchini, and shallot, then season with the salt, pepper, parsley . Grill or saute them until they start to sweat, keep them on the stove for another couple of minutes (taste them if you're not sure when they are done!)
- In the mean time, get the piece of chicken ready by giving a quick spray or drizzle of olive oil, add salt, crushed red pepper, and parsley
(these are staples in my cooking - you can probably tell by now)
add some chopped garlic too, if you have time. Put this chicken to the side to marinate for a couple of minutes.
- While they are cooking... arrange the spinach, avocado and a tablespoon of feta cheese on one half side of the wrap
- Once the veggies are done... toss them on the same side of the wrap
- Add the chicken onto the same pan... cook it until it is done and then shred it and add to the wrap. (how to SHRED?: Take two forks and pull then against the grain of the tenderloin)
- Wipe the pan down and turn down the heat. Fold the wrap in half and throw it on the pan to give it a quick crisp, then flip and do the same on the other side.
Cut it and you're done!
By my calculations, this has about 370 calories! Plenty of protein from the chicken, mono-unsaturated fat in the avocado, antioxidants in the onion/shallot, fiber/nutrients/antioxidants/vitamins in the spinach and mushrooms. Enjoy!